Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Game over

The last 2 weeks were packed with following the Winter Olympics. As the Austrians didn't only get media attention because of their results, there were lots of press conferences and interviews to be watched as well.

Well, lets start with the good part: These Games were the most successful Winter Olympics for Austria ever. In total the Austrian team won 23 medals of which 9 are Gold. A very good result - it was great to watch the competitions!

On the other hand, the Austrians, or at least part of the Austrian team, didn't get into the good books of international media and the IOC. A raid was done in the accomodation of the biathlon and cross country skiing team and several "items" were found. Additionaly some of the sportmen and trainers reacted in a way, that made the whole situation even more suspicious. I was very disappointed by the whole situation. I find it especially sad for those who succeded, as there will always be a big qestion mark behind their medal. Being an Austrian I have to state that those who are under suspicion, didn't enter any further competitions and also didn't win any medals before the raid was done. However, where there is smoke there is fire - so I believe that some of them are not as innocent as they are trying to make us believe. On the other hand, as a commentator on Eurosport pointed out, one has to assume that not only the Austrians are trying to "push the boundries" of Anti Doping regulations.

Well, that is my view on the Olympic Games. I really enjoyed watching the competitions and I even watched a few sports that I haven't followed at all so far - like curling (yesss ;-)) or speed skating.

And with the end of the Winter Olympics is seems that winter is finally coming to an end as well. Although we still have lots of snow, one can feel that spring is on it's way. Temperatures are around freezing point and one can hear birds singing! Even I look forward to warmer temperatures and the sun by now ...

Keep well and have a good day!
Christine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So with the Games over you must have thought that you had 3 weeks to get into a new routine... But by the sounds of things Hanna would have plans of her own. (she's starting early)While you guys still have snow we have a day of 40 predicted and yesterday was was warm enough at 35.

So I guess the SA team didn't do that well with the lack of snow falling in this country. Well done to you Austrians.