Being on maternity leave is a great thing, especially at the moment. The Winter Olympics started this weekend and I have time to follow it on TV. The Austrians have a big team, well for a small country like Austria, with about 80 sportmen and women. Of course the alpine skiing team has most members. However we also have very good teams in ski jumping, nordic combination, cross country skiing, biathlon, bobsleigh and snowboarding. The first two days have been quite good for Austria: we already won a silver medal in nordic combination and another silver medal in downhill skiing. We had hoped for a gold in the downhill, but a Frenchmen was better. Richard is suffering ... :-)
We will have to see what the next days and weeks bring. I set up a TV watching scedule - so the days are full with skiing, biathlon and cross country skiing (on the sofa).
For South Africa 3 sportmen are starting in the following disciplines: skiing, cross country skiing and skeleton. Coming from a country in which orienteering is very small and it is very unlikely you will ever be at the world's top, I know that the South Africans at the Winter Olympics are lonely fighters. I wish them all the best for their competitions and hope that they will achieve satisfying results for themselves and South Africa!
Now you know what I am up to in the next couple of days ;-)
I wish you all a good start into the new week!
Christine.
1 comment:
I was wondering what happened to you two and your blog. But clearly you were both too busy cheering on the French ... um, I mean Austrian downhill skiiers to write. I saw that the south african guy came 52nd - not bad. (Out of 55 - starting to sound a bit like orienteering!)
Hope that everything is going well with you, Christine, and that the excitement of all those men in ski-tights isn't enough to induce labour! :-)
Post a Comment