Thursday, April 10, 2008

Marc Richard Gathercole is here!

So it finally took this big event force me to actually write something on our blog again. But news it is, and exciting news at that. Yes - Marc has arrived after 39 weeks (1 week early) of hanging around in Christine's tummy.

He was born on the 8th of April 2008 at 09h29 after an 5 min operation (compared to Hanna's 24 hours) it seemed quite short. He is well as is Christine (after her operation) and is already quite the big lad (again compared to Hanna). Marc was born 50 cm long and 3160 g, which was quite a surprize, as the doctors had measured only 2700 g less than 1 week ago. We are glad though that he is so big, and the differences to Hanna are massive and evident from the word go.

He is already drinking hard, and is trying to look around all the time. His vocals work well, as do all the other parts. He has blue eyes at the moment, and very definitely Christines facial features. Black hair all over is also a feature that he shares with Hanna.

Christine had the operation on the advice of the doctors, and everything has gone very well. She is recovering well but still has quite a bit of pain (which is normal). She has been able to get up and move around, and was even able to have a shower on her own yesterday. I have been visiting at regular intervals and will be going to the hospital with Hanna again this afternoon.

Looking after Hanna and Aisha without Christine is quite a strain, but it's OK - I didn't expect to get any work done this week anyway *grin* but at least I have been able to sleep quite well. Exactly at this time Hanna has decided to move from her sleeping bag to a proper bed cover and so I've been checking her regularly during the night to ensure she is properly covered. All very exciting - but it would be better if she decide to use the potty properly first :)

Anyway, this is the news, we are all well and really happy to see that Marc has arrived safe and sound. Thank you for the many emails and SMS's that we received and the great support. I'm sorry that some of you didn't get the SMS's I sent - next time I will just send text and not MMS (with picture). I'll write more information on the weekend!

God Bless, love from all of us,
Richard, Christine, Hanna, Marc and Aisha.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever so cute, had a look at all the picture I'm proud of you man, and just think one day he'll pull on that Springbok jersey.

Love to you guys Dion & Dawn

Anonymous said...

In my opinion Marc definitely looks like Richard ;-)
All the best for the growing family!!
Edith

Unknown said...

Well D,

Not sure about that :) Remember he isn't South African (even in the slightest) - but who knows what the future brings.....

Rich.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, thats amazing, the gift of life is amazing, i agree that marc has some of your features more than the missus, he definitley got your eyes thats for sure.

Give all my best wishes to your wife and family, and once again mate congratulations so happy for you and your family.

have a drink on me!

-wallacejbj-

Anonymous said...

I have to agree Rich, he looks like you!
And I still think Hanna looks like Mom!
Lots of love
Michelle

Anonymous said...

hey congratulations!
your daughter is really sweet!
now you have to bake a cake and take to the class.;))
ting

Anonymous said...

Richard I wasn't saying that he was going to play for the Springboks, but that he was going to be a supporter and wearing the colors like his old man... (Yes we are getting old)Can you believe it Ive been working here for 17years today...